Here is the cacio e pepe pizza, a delicious twist on the classic cacio e pepe pasta! It consists of a crispy pizza crust topped with lots of freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, a kick of black pepper and zesty Italian seasoning. It is a simple combination which is SO delicious!
Treat yourself to pizza night with some of my favorite recipes: white pizza, Hawaiian pizza or focaccia pizza for something new and delicious!
Quick and Easy Cacio e Pepe Pizza Recipe
Get ready to try something deliciously different: pizza cacio e pepe! If you don’t know it, cacio e pepe is like the OG of Italian comfort food, and it’s all about that cheesy, peppery goodness. (I mean, its name literally translates to “cheese and pepper”.) The dish usually consists of spaghetti or other long pasta noodles tossed in a sauce made with pecorino romano cheese, black pepper, and pasta water. It’s so simple yet so tasty! But guess what? We go to the next level with a cacio e pepe pizza!
Yes, you heard right. Instead of the usual pasta, we brush this delicious blend of pecorino romano cheese and black pepper on a crispy pizza crust. It’s like a corny dream come true, with a little spice. This pizza is simple and delicious and everyone in your family will love it. Even my youngest who only ever wants to eat chicken nuggets was asking for seconds!
Ingredients you will need
Prepare to wow your taste buds with this cacio e pepe pizza! This incredible creation combines crispy pizza crust, creamy pecorino romano cheese, spicy black pepper and aromatic Italian seasoning for an explosion of flavors you’ll love. See recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Pizza dough: Roll out the pizza dough into a thin round shape, creating the perfect base for pizza cacio e pepe. You can use pre-made dough for easy preparation or make your own using my simple recipe here.
- Olive oil: This will help achieve a golden, slightly crispy crust while baking.
- Pecorino Romano cheese: It is this cheese that makes cacio e pepe so good! It adds a tangy, salty taste and melts beautifully. You can also add shredded mozzarella for a creamier, melt-in-the-mouth flavor.
- Black pepper: Add a splash of flavor by liberally sprinkling two teaspoons of black pepper over the grated cheese. Do not hesitate to add more or less according to your tastes, but I like it peppery!
- Italian seasoning: The best blend of dried herbs like oregano, basil, thyme and rosemary!
- Fresh basil leaves: Garnish the pizza with fresh basil leaves, arranging them all around the surface. Not only do they make the pizza look great, but they also add extra flavor!
- Salt: Finish by sprinkling a pinch of salt on the pizza. This finishing touch enhances all the flavors.
Let’s make Cacio e Pepe pizza
Cacio e Pepe pizza is the perfect quick and easy dinner. It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish! All you have to do is pick up a box of pizza dough from the store.
- Preheat the oven, prepare the pan: Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough: Roll out your dough into a circle that will fit your pan. You can make a square pizza or use a round pan. Then place the spread dough on your mold.
- Add olive oil and toppings: Spread your olive oil on the rolled out dough. Then sprinkle over your grated pecorino romano cheese, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the pastry has reached an even golden brown all around and has started to brown in some spots.
- Add the basil and serve: Remove from the oven then sprinkle with salt and place a few basil leaves around the surface. Cacio e pepe pizza is best eaten fresh out of the oven when the cheese is still gooey and the crust is at its crispiest.
Tips and variations
You will love the cacio e pepe pizza. It is so good! I know it sounds simple, but it’s packed with so much delicious flavor. Here are a few more ways to customize it:
- Use homemade dough: Premade dough is certainly convenient, but what if I told you that you could make homemade dough with just 25 minutes of prep time and a few simple ingredients? It’s so easy to make and has the best taste and texture. Check out my full recipe here.
- Don’t skimp on the cheese: For that real cacio e pepe flavor, be generous with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese. The cheese is the star of the show, so don’t hold back!
- Pepper it: Use freshly cracked black pepper for best flavor and aroma. Adjust the amount of pepper according to your taste preferences, but don’t be afraid to let it spice up the pizza.
- Roll your dough thinly: To get that perfect crispy crust, roll out the pizza dough very thinly. This will make the cooking even and allow the toppings to shine.
- Add a touch of garlic: If you’re a garlic lover, consider adding chopped fresh garlic to the olive oil before spreading it on the dough. This will infuse the pizza with an extra layer of flavor.
- Serve with: Breadsticks and marinara, garlic knots, chopped salad or soup for a complete meal!
Cacio e pepe pizza is absolutely delicious when fresh and hot, with that melty cheese and crispy crust. If you happen to have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge for about 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Reheating: Remember, when you’re ready to enjoy your pizza again, reheating might not bring back the exact same texture and crispness, but it will still satisfy those cravings for cacio e pepe. Put it in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for best results.
Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
Roll out your dough into a circle that will fit your pan. You can make a square pizza or use a round pan. Place the spread dough on your mold.
Spread your olive oil on the rolled out dough. Sprinkle your grated pecorino romano cheese, pepper and Italian seasoning over your dough.
Place in the oven and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the pastry has reached an even golden brown all around and has started to brown in some places.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and place a few basil leaves around the surface.
Serve as fresh !
You can also use pre-made pizza dough for this recipe!
calories187calories (9%)Carbohydrates24g (8%)Protein8g (16%)Fat7g (11%)Saturated fat3g (15%)Polyunsaturated fats1gMonounsaturated fat2gCholesterol13mg (4%)Sodium504mg (21%)Potassium24mg (1%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A63UI (1%)Vitamin C0.01mgCalcium143mg (14%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and serving sizes per household.