Bang Bang Chicken Recipe | The Recipe Critic
Spice up your table with this explosive bang bang chicken! It’s crispy yet tender and coated in a thick, creamy sauce that’s savory, spicy, and sweet at the same time!
If you are looking for more Chinese-inspired dishes full of flavor, here are some recipes to add to the dinner program: firecracker chicken, General Tso’s chicken and kung pao chicken!
Bang Bang Chicken Recipe
Imagine tender chunks of juicy, breaded chicken coated in a delicious homemade sauce that packs a savory punch. It’s bang bang chicken, a dish packed with all the best sweet, salty and spicy flavors. With its tangy and creamy sauce, it will leave your family begging for seconds!
So why settle for takeout when you can whip up a batch of bang bang chicken? It’s super easy to make and the homemade sauce only requires a few simple ingredients to make. Fresh is always better! Not only does homemade bang bang sauce taste better, it’s also free of preservatives that bottled sauces contain. And can we talk about the taste? The creamy mayonnaise tames the heat of the sriracha sauce and sweet chilli, creating a harmonious blend that is impossible to resist. You will love.
All the necessary ingredients
To prepare this homemade chicken bang bang, all you need to do is pull out your spice rack and some basic ingredients from your pantry. Feel free to customize the flavor to your preference!
- Boneless chicken breasts: Perfect for absorbing the flavors of the sauce and creating a satisfying texture. You can also use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer for a juicier result.
- Whole milk : The whole milk acts as a binding agent, helping the flour and cornstarch stick to the chicken.
- big egg: The egg adds richness to the coating of the chicken and helps bind the ingredients together.
- Cornstarch and all-purpose flour: For the perfect crispy coating!
- Salt and black pepper: This acts as the first layer of seasoning for the bang bang chicken.
- Vegetable oil: To fry the chicken.
For the Bang Bang Sauce:
- Mayonnaise: Acting as a creamy base, mayonnaise brings richness and smoothness. Greek yogurt or sour cream can also be used.
- Dear: Adds softness and also helps balance warmth.
- Sweet chili sauce: Hot and slightly spicy, the sweet chili sauce brings a unique flavor to the sauce.
- Sriracha: Mix this for the perfect spice shot!
- Salt: Adjust to taste to enhance the overall flavor of the sauce.
- Sesame seeds: (Optional) For garnish. Sesame seeds also add an extra hit of nutty flavor.
Let’s make Bang Bang chicken!
It’s actually quite easy to make bang bang chicken at home. And trust me, it will taste better than your favorite takeout spot! Your family can’t get enough of the juicy, crispy goodness of chicken coated in a lightly spiced creamy sauce. Complete the meal by serving bang bang chicken with a tasty bed of white or fried rice!
Preparation of the sauce and the dough
- Prepare the sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together your mayonnaise, honey, sweet chili sauce, sriracha and sesame seeds. Then set aside.
- Cut chicken: Prepare your chicken by cutting it into 1-inch cubes.
- Prepare the dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together your milk and egg. Then, in a separate bowl, combine your cornstarch, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Egg mix: Place all your chicken cubes in the bowl of milk and egg, toss to coat well. While the chicken is soaking in the milk mixture for a minute, heat your frying oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat in Flour: Remove the chicken from the milk and egg mixture, allowing any excess liquid to drip off. Next, pour your flour mixture into a large plastic bag, place all of your soaked chicken in the bag, seal it, and shake the bag to completely coat the chicken with the flour mixture.
- Add to the skillet: You may need to cook the chicken in batches. remove the chicken from the bag and gently place it in the hot oil.
- Fry: Fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes, turning it so it cooks evenly. The chicken should be golden brown and well cooked.
- Transfer to plate: Remove from oil, then place on a plate lined with paper towel to allow excess oil to drip off.
- Mix in the sauce: Once all the chicken is cooked, transfer everything to your bowl with the sauce and toss to coat each piece evenly.
- Serve: Bang bang chicken is eaten fresh!
Can I cook Bang Bang Chicken instead?
Yes! If you want to avoid the mess of cooking in oil, here’s how to bake your bang bang chicken in the oven instead.
- To preheat the oven: If you want to bake your chicken, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Add to the baking sheet: Remove the flour-coated chicken from the bag and place in a single layer on the parchment-lined skillet. Then cook for 18 to 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Cover with sauce: Cover with bang bang sauce and enjoy!
Be sure to save any leftovers you have, as they will make a quick and easy lunch for later!
- In the refrigerator: In an airtight container, the bang bang chicken will keep for about 3 days. Keep in mind that chicken may lose some of its crispiness when stored.
- Reheating: To reheat, bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, warm in a skillet over medium heat, or microwave until heated through. Make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit before serving.
In a medium bowl, whisk together your mayonnaise, honey, sweet chili sauce, sriracha and sesame seeds. Put aside.
Prepare your chicken by cutting it into 1-inch cubes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together your milk and egg. In a separate bowl, combine your cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper.
Place all your chicken cubes in the bowl of milk and egg, toss to coat well. While the chicken is soaking in the milk mixture for a minute, heat your frying oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Remove the chicken from the milk and egg mixture, allowing any excess liquid to drip off.
Pour your flour mixture into a large plastic bag, place all of your soaked chicken in the bag, seal it, and shake the bag to completely coat the chicken with the flour mixture.
You may need to cook the chicken in a few batches, remove the chicken from the bag and carefully place it in the hot oil.
Fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes, turning to cook evenly. The chicken should be golden brown and well cooked.
Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel to allow excess oil to drip off.
Once all the chicken is cooked, transfer everything to your bowl with the sauce and toss to evenly coat each piece.
To be enjoyed fresh!
calories414calories (21%)Carbohydrates30g (ten%)Protein28g (56%)Fat20g (31%)Saturated fat4g (20%)Polyunsaturated fatstengMonounsaturated fat5gtrans fat0.1gCholesterol124mg (41%)Sodium1360mg (57%)Potassium501mg (14%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar16g (18%)Vitamin A145UI (3%)Vitamin C4mg (5%)Calcium62mg (6%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and serving sizes per household.